Post-Brexit : Market Growth and Diversification Grant
The aim of the Post-Brexit : Market Growth & Diversification Grant is to help clients that are impacted by Brexit to identify new market opportunities, develop a market entry plan and grow exports in markets outside of the UK.
In order to be eligible, companies must demonstrate that they have been negatively impacted by Brexit. Each company must demonstrate that they suffered a 5% reduction in UK sales in either 2020 or 2021 or 2022 compared to 2019 levels.
This new grant will help the clients mitigate the impact of Brexit by developing the strategic capability to grow in existing markets and diversify into new markets, outside of the UK through research, developing their own messaging, value proposition and market entry strategy.
Eligible costs include the cost of hiring a consultant(s) to undertake research into new or existing markets to identify opportunities for business development. This support is against eligible De Minimis Costs.
Am I eligible?
All Enterprise Ireland and Bord Bia/Irish Food Board clients that have been defined as being impacted by Brexit and have sufficient De Minimis balance available, are eligible for this support.
Brexit impacted clients are defined as those who have suffered a 5 per cent or more reduction in UK sales in either 2020 or 2021 or 2022 compared to 2019 levels.
However, each application will be assessed based on the clients capability to expand in an existing market or enter a new market in 2023 as well as the need for financial support.
Please note, this grant is open to clients of Enterprise Ireland and Bord Bia only. Companies active in the primary production of agricultural products, fishery and aquaculture are not eligible.
What costs are eligible and what is the maximum funding available?
Up to 80% of the costs incurred in hiring a consultant to a maximum grant amount of €36,000. Applications are considered on a case-by-case basis and the level of funding will be determined following assessment of;
- the merits of providing grant support to the activity set out in the application;
- the need for financial support;
- balance of de Minimis available;
- ability to enter a new market in 2023;
- That a suitable consultant(s) has been identified prior to the application being made.
|Eligible Expenditures||Maximum Limits and Notes|
- Costs of hiring a specialist consultant to input into or undertake the proposed project.
- Max. Consultancy rate is €900 per day subject to a maximum of 50 days.
- Daily rate to be inclusive of travel and subsistence and all out-of-pocket expenses.
- Maximum expenditure of €45,000 @ 80% equals max grant of €36,000.
- Where more than one consultant is being used from the same firm the daily rate applies to the firm.
- Where there is more than one consultancy firm involved on the project, the rate applies to each firm separately.
- Clients are free to choose consultants based in Ireland or overseas. Selected consultant must demonstrate that they have the capability and experience to carry out this project.
The initiative aimed at Company level will have 4 key elements:
- Market Entry Strategy: Developing a market-driven business strategy and value proposition for target markets.
- Market collateral: Scoping market collateral requirements based on customer profiles and segmentation localised for the market.
- Digital channels: developing a digital marketing strategy for each target market.
- Market presence: Conduct comprehensive market research including in market consultancy support.
Companies will work with a consultant(s) to identify new market opportunities and to develop a market entry plan outside of the UK.
- Company discovery / understanding the client
- Establishing client goals and objectives for this support
- Market research / market intelligence gathering
- Identification of market segments and end customers
- Identifying the best routes to market ie direct or through partners
- Value proposition and message development for each of the identified market segments
- Developing a market entry strategy
- Identification and scoping of asset requirements
- Development of market launch strategy including tactical marketing activities
While this Consultancy grant can be used to research new market opportunities and to develop messaging for each of the markets, it cannot be used for:
- Lead generation/sales activities
- Media buying
- Development of a website
- Production of marketing collateral (offline & online)
- The purchase of “off the shelf” software package licences or subscriptions e.g. for Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems, lead generation software, etc
This grant is supported under Strategic consultancy and cannot be used to subsidise regular company operating costs routine or ongoing outsourced consultancy costs.
Phases of the Programme
Ready to launch
|Up to 15 days consultancy||Up to 15 days consultancy||Up to 20 days consultancy|
- Set goals, objectives and KPIs
- Market research and go to market planning
- Market segmentation
- Value proposition and messaging
- Development of buyer personas
- Assessment of competitor analysis / benchmarking
- Brand positioning and identity
- Identifying partners / resellers
- Identification / scoping of assets / collateral required
- Development of 12-month digital marketing plan
- Identifying in-market activities
- Development of strategy and market launch plan
- Engagement with Enterprise Ireland overseas offices
- Working with in-market consultants
- Further refinement of customer segmentation by market
- Quantify resource requirements
- Local market regulations and standards
- Finalise go-to-market plan
How do I Apply?
To apply for this grant, please carry out the following steps:
1. Please fill out and submit the Brexit Impact Declaration– this is required in order to ascertain if you are eligible for this support.
2. Choose a marketing consultant/digital agency who will work with you on this project:
3. Ask your chosen consultant to develop a proposal using this template. The proposal should clearly outline the objectives and the deliverables for this work and will help you and Enterprise Ireland monitor the progress of the work. This proposal will also be required to claim the grant. As part of the application, you will also be asked for a copy of this proposal.
4. Please visit www.enterprise-ireland.com/apply to apply for the Post Brexit: Market Growth & Diversification Grant.
- When you have completed the application, please use the option in the Online Application system to ‘SHARE A DRAFT’ with the email@example.com
- Please DO NOT SUBMIT the application until the project team has reviewed and agreed your DRAFT.
5. Once approved, you will receive an email requesting you to formally submit the application form for approval by your Development Advisor.
Call close dates
All applications need to be submitted by 30th June 2023.
All claims for this grant have to be submitted by 31st October 2023 and paid by 31st December 2023.
Key contact / more information
Contact Post Brexit Grant firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively you can contact your Enterprise Ireland Adviser
Download more information here.