Aerospace processes include layup and autoclave manufacturing of thermoset prepregs, Resin Transfer Moulding (RTM) of thermoset composites and press-forming of thermoplastic composites. Ancillary processes include C-Scan and A-Scan non-destructive testing, trimming, secondary bonding/assembly and painting and finishing.
- 2.5 metre diameter x 6.0 metres long autoclave, 10 bar pressure, 250 ºC
- 100 tonne double-daylight press, platen sizes 1.5 metre x 0.5 metre, 450ºC
- Infrared rapid heating system for press-forming of thermoplastic composites
- 80 tonne single-daylight press, platen sizes 1.0 metre x 1.0 metre, 200ºC
- Calibrated aerospace oven, 2.0m x 2.0m x 2.0m, 200 ºC
- 0.6 metre diameter x 1.2 metre autoclave, 20 bar pressure, 450 ºC
- RTM machines - single and multi-part systems, pressure-pot system, up to 120ºC
- Refrigerated store - calibrated to aerospace standards
- 287 sqm clean rooms - calibrated to 100K
- 2 Paint booths - calibrated to aerospace standards
- Grit blasting unit - calibrated to aerospace standards
The company is engaged in several ESA and industry-funded research and development activities focused on the application of novel thermoplastic composites (TPCs) and processes to space structures. The aims are to provide a) Lower-cost, out-of-autoclave manufacturing methods for large TPC structures; and b) Lower-mass, highly-engineered TPC replacements for complex metal structures.
The company operates from a 6,000 sq. metre facility in Galway, Ireland, and is accredited to Nadcap, EN/AS 9100 and ISO 9001-2000 for composites design, manufacturing and non-destructive testing. Subsidiary company, Composites Testing Laboratory, is accredited to ISO 17025 for testing of composite materials and structures.