Aerospace processes include layup and autoclave manufacturing of thermoset prepregs, Resin Transfer Moulding (RTM) of thermoset composites and press-forming of thermoplastic composites. Ancillary processes include C-Scan non-destructive testing, trimming, secondary bonding/assembly and painting and finishing.
- 2.5m diameter x 6m long autoclave and a 250m2 cleanroom.
- 100 tonne double-daylight press, platen sizes 1.5m x 0.5m, 450ºC.
- 1.5m diameter x 3.0m long autoclave, 10 bar pressure, 4000C.
- 80 tonne single-daylight press, platen sizes 1.0m x 1.0m, 200ºC.
- Infrared rapid heating system for press-forming of thermoplastic composites.
- 0.6m diameter x 1.2m experimental autoclave, 20 bar pressure, 450 ºC.
- RTM machines: single & multi-part systems, pressure-pot system, up to 120ºC.
- Refrigerated store - calibrated to aerospace standards.
- Calibrated aerospace oven, 2.0m x 2.0m x 2.0m, 2000C.
- Paint booth - calibrated to aerospace standards.
- Grit blasting unit - calibrated to aerospace standards.
- 1m2 Midas NDT Ultrasonic C-span.
The company is engaged in several ESA and industry-funded research and development activities focused on the application of novel thermoplastic composites (TPCs) and processes to space structures. The aims are to provide a) Lower-cost, out-of-autoclave manufacturing methods for large TPC structures; and b) Lower-mass, highly-engineered TPC replacements for complex metal structures.
The company operates from a 6,000 sq. metre facility in Galway, Ireland, and is accredited to Nadcap, EN/AS 9100 and ISO 9001-2000 for composites design, manufacturing and non-destructive testing. Subsidiary company, Composites Testing Laboratory, is accredited to ISO 17025 for testing of composite materials and structures.