Support for start-ups
World Leading Funding and Support programmes for Start-Ups
Funding and support are always critical issues for start-ups. If you choose to start a business in Ireland there is a wealth of support programmes and experience available to you through Enterprise Ireland. In addition, there are many funding and investment opportunities available to early stage companies and those in growth phases through public (government) funding grants and private sector sources such as VC funds and other capital providers.
Government Supports through Enterprise Ireland
Enterprise Ireland offers a comprehensive range of supports to high potential, export focused entrepreneurs and companies to make it as easy as possible to start a business in Ireland and to grow into global markets.
Our supports include:
- Business Funding
- Advice, mentoring and introductions
- Practical help to enter overseas markets
The level of support available from Enterprise Ireland is related to the project’s potential benefits to Ireland and is subject to specific terms of eligibility.
Think of us as your partner in Ireland. Click to view full details on all our supports for start-up companies.
Private Sector Funding Sources for Start-Ups and Early Stage Companies
- A strong and growing network of local Business Angels, Seed Funds and Venture Capitalists (VCs). On a per capita basis, the level of funding available is high by international standards
- Enterprise Ireland has relationships with many of these investors in Ireland and can arrange introductions if required
- Ireland has a network of start-up accelerator programmes. Almost all of these provide some form of funding to participants in addition to mentoring, incubation space, workshops and more. You can find some of them listed here
Ireland’s very favorable tax regime helps make companies based in Ireland more attractive to investors. This includes a low corporation tax rate of 12.5% combined with favorable double tax agreements. This generous tax regime is also beneficial after you become profitable. If you are hoping to sell your business, it can make your company a significantly more attractive acquisition target.
Research and Development (R&D) Tax Credits
Generous R&D tax credits are available to start-ups in Ireland. Even if you are in the loss making start-up phase, these tax breaks may provide immediate cash flow benefits. For example, you could eliminate or reduce your social security contributions by crediting them against your R&D spend. Click here to learn more about the R&D Tax Credit Scheme. One of the latest government initiatives is called ‘Knowledge Development Box’. It offers a preferential rate on assets such as patents which are managed from Ireland and located here.
Tax Incentives to Irish Investors in Eligible Start-Ups
Employment Investment and Incentive Scheme (EII) provides tax relief for Irish taxpayers who invest in certain companies. Most of these programmes meet Enterprise Ireland’s investment criteria.
More reasons to locate in Ireland