Taking Care of Business: 19 State bodies come together for one-stop-shop free event for small businesses
9th September 2013
Event will allow small business owners to informally ask questions and get advice from a diverse mix of Government Agencies
Presentations will focus on key regulatory requirements and the assistance available to help entrepreneurs develop their businesses
Event is supported by SFA, Chambers Ireland, ISME, RGData, ACCA and the Hardware Association of Ireland
The Minister for Small Business, John Perry T.D., today (Monday) launched a one-stop-shop event for existing and potential entrepreneurs called ‘Taking Care of Business’. This free event will take place on Thursday 22nd October in the Printworks Conference Centre in Dublin Castle.
The half-day event is specifically targeted at people thinking of starting a business and small business owners and managers. Attending the event will allow entrepreneurs to:
- Better understand the key regulations that affect them so that they can focus on the main task of running their business;
- Meet experts from a broad range of public bodies in an informal setting;
- Find out about advice and supports that are available from across the public sector.
There will be two separate strands running concurrently with presentations from State bodies in one area and information stands manned by staff from these bodies in a separate area. The concise presentations will focus on key regulatory requirements as well as assistance available to help entrepreneurs develop their businesses. Experts will be available at the information stands to speak directly to attendees and answer questions throughout the event.
This initiative of the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation will bring together 19 State bodies in one location and builds on a pilot event last year which saw a small group of agencies attend a Health and Safety Authority event for small businesses.
Minister Perry said: “It is essential for SMEs to make the most of the advice and supports available to them so I encourage entrepreneurs and those thinking of starting a business to capitalise on this chance to hear from a wide variety of agencies, in one location.
“This will also be a great opportunity for people to ask questions and raise individual concerns face-to-face with staff from across the public sector. My Department is committed to engaging with the small business community and this event will help SMEs to better understand the regulatory environment. We hope to build on this initiative by holding similar events in the future.”
The State offices and agencies represented will provide information across a wide range of areas, including:
- Tax, employment and Health & Safety obligations;
- Legal requirements for setting up and running a business;
- Requirements in areas such as food and environmental safety;
- Advice on government procurement and intellectual property;
- Assistance and supports from enterprise agencies and Local Authorities.
A number of representative bodies from industry are supporting the event and will be available to talk to attendees on the day. ‘Taking Care of Business’ will be opened by Senator Feargal Quinn, who will also Chair the first set of presentations. Heather Ann McSharry, an IDA board member and Eamonn Kielty, ISME Chairman, will Chair the remaining sessions.
Speaking at the launch Senator Quinn said: “This event will allow small business owners to informally ask questions and get advice from a diverse mix of government agencies; Ireland needs small businesses to thrive and so I welcome efforts such as this to demystify government regulation and tell people about the supports available to them.”
To register for the event and for more details including the running order of presentations and the full list of State Bodies attending, please visitwww.takingcareofbusiness.ie.
Early booking is strongly advised as there are a limited number of places available.
For further information please contact Mark Ryan, Health and Safety Authority, Press Officer, 01 6147068 / 086 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photographs to follow from Jason Clarke Photography - Tel: +353 1 660 7938 / Email: email@example.com
Notes for Editors
The State office and agencies represented at the event will be:
· County and City Enterprise Boards
· Revenue Commissioners
· Enterprise Ireland
· Competition Authority
· Companies Registration Office
· Environmental Protection Agency
· Food Safety Authority of Ireland
· Health and Safety Authority
· Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement
· National Employment Rights Authority
· Office of Government Procurement
· Department of Social Protection / Intreo
· Data Protection Commissioner
· Equality Authority
· National Standards Authority of Ireland
· Microfinance Ireland
· Fingal County Council
· Solvit (informal problem-solving network for EU citizens and businesses)
· Patents Office
The event is supported by SFA, Chambers Ireland, ISME, RGData, ACCA and the Hardware Association of Ireland.