Senior Executive – KTI Programmes and Strategy Development
Title: Senior Executive – KTI Programmes and Strategy Development
Business Unit/Division: Research and Innovation
Department: Knowledge Transfer Ireland (KTI)
Reporting To: Department Manager (Director, KTI)
Grade / Level: Level E
Location: East Point, Dublin
Job Reference: EI.089.17E
Knowledge Transfer Ireland (KTI) is a flagship initiative that works with business, investors, third level institutions, State research organisations, technology transfer offices, research funders and government agencies to support and develop the national knowledge transfer system that supports industry-research base engagement and commercialisation.
The person appointed to the Programmes and Strategy Development role in KTI will be responsible for the strategic and operational planning, implementation and delivery of programmes, currently Technology Transfer Strengthening Initiative (TTSI), focussed on developing knowledge and technology transfer capability and resources within the State-funded Research Performing Organisations (RPOs) for the benefit of enterprise. He/she will also work closely with the KTI Director to drive and deliver on key knowledge/technology transfer strategic planning initiatives and projects.
Technology Transfer Strengthening Initiative (TTSI) programme
The key TTSI objective is to drive and deliver all components associated with the delivery of the third round of the €35.5m Enterprise Ireland Technology Transfer Strengthening Initiative (TTSI3) Funding Programme 2017 – 2021 and to wrap up the second round of the TTSI2 Programme to bring it to conclusion. Delivery of this objective incorporates the following:
- Monitor and manage all strategic constituents of the TTSI programme to ensure it remains fit-for-purpose in a rapidly changing knowledge transfer, research and business environment.
- Manage all operational mechanisms in place to deliver the programme including developing and managing the ‘Programme Calls’ processes - applications, panels, assessments and reporting; financial management; performance evaluation and reviews, which includes the operation and delivery of external independent review processes.
- Define, develop and implement new strategic and operational initiatives to support ongoing successful execution and delivery of the TTSI Programme.
- Monitor and analyse all performance elements of the TTSI Programme including collecting and analysing data and working closely with Finance team to monitor and analyse spend under the programme, reporting outcomes to KTI Director, EI and DJEI on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Working in conjunction with the KTI Administrator, support this administrative support function by providing management and leadership expertise and direction in respect of their contribution to the Programme. This will include ensuring appropriate systems and procedures are in place and maintained in order to drive robust Programme research, analysis and reporting at regular intervals and managing the TTSI information, databases, documentation and dissemination of same to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Take a lead role in preparing EI Board, Executive Committee and other Committee documents as required and presenting on same to achieve the goals of the TTSI programme.
- Drive continuous improvement to ensure cohesive and efficient programme management by liaising with TTO directors on a regular basis and by engaging in strategic horizon-scanning to continuously inform best practice, new opportunities for, and continuous development of, the Programme.
- Build and maintain an up-to-date international and national bank of knowledge/technology transfer knowledge, policy, practices and procedures.
Data analysis for Strategic Planning
- Data and trends research and analysis that will inform Programme management and associated communications to include:
- Analysis of longitudinal data under the TTSI programme, trend analysis, investigation of underpinning factors, evidence-based projections, forecasting and reporting.
- Building an up-to-date understanding of international knowledge/technology transfer performance trends and benchmarking as appropriate.
- Scoping and delivering analytical projects including managing external consultants as appropriate.
- Work with the KTI Director to develop and implement strategic projects to support the delivery of KTI’s national remit, as they arise. This will include:
- Leading on specific high-level and/or complex projects as assigned
- Research and analysis
- Policy document and report writing
- Drafting of presentations
- Presentation of data
- Drafting of business proposals
- Multi-stakeholder engagement
Functional Competencies (Key Skills and Knowledge)
- Robust experience of working in a Research & Innovation business or third-level environment, in a programme and/or project management capacity, with specific experience of successfully directing, driving and delivering knowledge transfer initiatives and results is essential.
- Strong skills and experience in designing, developing and producing professional and impactful written content for a range of diverse and complex business documents, with particularly robust experience of creating, synthesising and presenting position papers/reports and other documents in highly technical and research-focussed areas is essential.
- Experience of conducting research, analysis, synthesis and reporting on complex financial and other data/information is essential.
- Proven experience of a strong proficiency in engaging effectively, networking and building relationships with multiple internal and external key stakeholders at all levels across companies, agencies, academia is essential.
- Excellent working knowledge, familiarity and understanding of the research and knowledge / technology transfer systems, approaches and cultural nuances in Ireland.
- Good knowledge and understanding of best practice in international and national research and technology-transfer trends, approaches and models to drive business impact.
- Strong oral English communications and writing skills and presentation skills and experience, particularly to internal and external Committees and demonstrated ability to represent EI and its position/agenda across diverse platforms.
- Organisational, administration and project management skills and experience, with strong attention to detail and proven ability to manage a range of complex projects and multiple competing priorities at one time to tight deadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of financial control fundamentals is desirable.
- Skills and experience in running programme evaluations, particularly those requiring the use of external resources and consultants is desirable.
- A third level qualification in a research, innovation or commercialisation-related discipline is a distinct advantage.
Enterprise Ireland Behavioural Competencies
The ability to remain outcome and results focused with regard to business priorities and organisational goals, monitoring progress and adjusting approach ensuring delivery against the appropriate timescales.
Innovation and Risk-Taking
Actively encourages new ideas, experimentation and measured risk-taking, while always being on the lookout for opportunities to continuously improve business processes and efficiencies within Enterprise Ireland and client organisations.
Problem Solving and Decision-Making
The ability to be decisive and take tough decisions about clients, people and costs to deliver sustainable results, using the analysis of information and situations to make logical and sound decisions.
The ability to provide an excellent client service focusing on client needs and building and maintaining effective personal and business relationships to advance clients’ objectives and Enterprise Ireland strategy.
Communicating with Impact to Influence Others
Communicates in a manner that will persuade, convince and influence their own staff and others, both internally and externally, in order to motivate, inspire or encourage them to follow a particular course of action.
Co-operates with colleagues, shares information and respects the opinions and values of staff members. Understands the skills, experience and knowledge of staff members and maximises how these can be utilised to the benefit of the department, the organisation and the client.
Embracing & Leading Change
Understands the business agenda of Enterprise Ireland and embraces changes for area of responsibility and for external and internal clients.
Acting / Leading with Integrity
Lives the Enterprise Ireland purpose and values, acting genuinely and with integrity, in a manner that builds trust and engages and motivates others, placing the genuine needs of the client, the organisation, and staff ahead of personal agendas
Establishes and maintains mutually beneficial relationships with colleagues and other networks for the purpose of sharing information.
Developing Yourself & Others
Creates an environment that enables others to excel in terms of job performance.
€65,093 to €77,358 per annum contributory superannuation
Rising to €81,914 by long service increments.
€62,962 to €73,611 per annum non-contributory superannuation
Rising to €77,988 by long service increments
Candidates should note that entry will be at the minimum of the relevant scale and the rate of remuneration may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government pay policy. Subject to satisfactory performance, increments may be payable in line with current Government Policy.
Application and Selection Process
The selection process may include short-listing of candidates. The selection criteria will be based on the requirements of the position. It is therefore important that you provide a detailed and accurate account of where you believe your skills and experience meet the requirements for the position. This should be contained in a short document (maximum 2 pages) accompanying your CV.
Applicants should note that, for shortlisting purposes in particular, clear evidence of the functional competency requirements listed as essential in this specification must be demonstrated as part of your supporting document accompanying your CV.
To apply for the position, send a detailed CV and supporting document quoting reference number EI.089.17E to HRconnect@enterprise-ireland.com to be received no later than Friday 21st July 2017.
All applications will be acknowledged by email.
Queries in relation to the role or the application process should be directed to Deirdre Keating, Human Resources Department on +353 1 727 2376 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Issued by the HR Department, Enterprise Ireland on 5th July, 2017
Enterprise Ireland is an equal opportunities employer