As part of helping clients achieve improved export growth, the Enterprise Ireland Green team helps companies to incorporate sustainable practices into the day-to-day running of the business. Better environmental performance leads to improved resource efficiency and direct cost savings and can also increase access to customers who are increasingly demanding more environmentally friendly products and services.
First Steps to Green Competitiveness Guidebook
This guidebook was developed by Enterprise Ireland using a simple set of tools to introduce some basic environmental awareness as part of the LeanStart programme. The guidebook will be used by consultants conducting a LeanStart over the course of half a day to show companies how managing their environmental impacts and producing an Environmental Policy Statement can be of benefit to the company. See LeanStart.
Environmental Improvement Funding from Enterprise Ireland
The GreenStart programme is designed for SME companies only. It aims to increase the level of environmental awareness relating to regulatory compliance and help with the development of a basic management system in companies which do not have in-house expertise or have conducted limited environmental activities to date. An increase in environmental performance can help companies reach a level where they can achieve competitive advantage through greater resource efficiency (energy/water/waste costs) and greater market share through enhanced credentials.
The project will involve the hiring of a consultant to:
- Review environmental activities and practices at the site
- Provide advice on regulatory compliance issues (licences/permits) and how to resolve them
- Assistance with preparation of an Environmental Policy Statement
- Assistance with preparation of a basic Environmental Management System (EMS) based on a ‘Plan, Do, Check, Act’ philosophy to deal with site issues
- Establish a baseline assessment to identify possible savings and KPIs
- Provide introductory training for relevant staff
- Assistance with access to other tools and resources to maintain performance and to improve resource efficiency
- Compliance with regulatory requirements
- Environmental Policy Statement
- Simplified site EMS
- Cost saving project completed
- Awareness of market benefits of improved environmental reputation
- Reports on project and metrics generated
For more detailed information on eligible costs and how to apply, go to GreenStart.
Business Process Improvement - GreenPlus Assignments
Under Enterprise Ireland’s Business Process Improvement Grants, client companies can apply for funding towards the cost of undertaking a GreenPlus Assignment. Assignments are designed to assist company managers to develop a high level of environmental management capabilities, drive environmental efficiencies and achieve improved sustainability. Eligible assignments may include:
- Understanding and embedding improved environmental management practices in your company through dedicated training programmes.
- Assessing and applying international environmental best practices and standards to a level compatible with ISO 14001 (Environmental Management Systems Standard) and ISO 50001 (Energy Management Standard).
- Other process improvements with the potential to increase your company's environmental sustainability, minimise material and resource costs, minimise waste (water, energy, materials) and lead to improved company competitiveness.
- Supply chain or customer tendering requirements
Improvement projects must address a clear business need and deliver a positive impact on your business. Assignments may vary in size and scope but will typically be completed within six months and will not exceed a total project cost of €70,000. For more detailed information on eligible costs and how to apply, go to Business Process Improvement Grant.
Technical Feasibility Grant
The Enterprise Ireland Technical Feasibility Grant can be used to assist companies in undertaking a technical feasibility study aimed at investigating the technical aspects of introducing or developing new or improved products, technologies, services or processes that are environmentally superior. This grant can also be used to apply for Eco-labels to help companies demonstrate the environmental performance of their products. To learn more about eligible costs or how to apply, please go to Technical Feasibility Grant.
Key contacts/more information
For more information, contact your Enterprise Ireland Adviser. If you are not a client of Enterprise Ireland, please contact your local Enterprise Ireland regional office.
Phone: +353 1 7272480
Tel: +353 61 777045
Enterprise Ireland also manages an environmental information portal at www.envirocentre.ie designed to enhance environmental awareness and improve performance in Irish industry. You will find information on a range of important topics including legislation and regulations, waste management and recycling, eco-design and carbon management.