Growth through Procurement - Connecting Companies to Irish Public Sector Opportunities
Enterprise Ireland is the government agency responsible for supporting Irish businesses in the manufacturing and internationally traded services sectors. We partner with entrepreneurs, Irish businesses, and the research and investment communities to develop Ireland’s international trade, innovation, leadership and competitiveness. The ultimate objective is increased exports, employment, and prosperity in Ireland.
Enterprise Ireland’s public procurement team is working across public sector organisations to raise awareness of the innovative capabilities and solutions of Irish small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and how they can deliver value to public sector contracts.
The Government is the largest purchaser of goods and services in the economy. Public Procurement accounts for 16% of GDP. In turn €8.5 billion is spent on supplies and services.
How does Enterprise Ireland work with Irish SMEs to target and win public procurement contracts?
Enterprise Ireland is committed to working with Irish SMEs to facilitate and maximise the contract opportunities available through the public sector. The key focus of the public procurement team is to raise awareness of the innovative solutions provided by indigenous SMEs to the public sector in Ireland. Connecting with local subcontractor and sub suppliers in the supply chain to shortlisted bidders in flagship public sector projects through “meet the buyer events”.
The Department is made up of a team of Marketing Advisors whose role is to:
- Identify and qualify procurement opportunities.
- Build client capability
- Facilitate buyer / client meetings in order to accelerate the procurement process
- Develop and implement new approaches to public sector procurement in collaboration with key stakeholders
- Identify “blocks” to SME access to the public sector market and implement the appropriate solutions.
Targeting and winning public procurement contracts
Our public procurement team works with contracting authorities to help identify innovative solutions, products and services developed and provided by Irish companies. During 2014 -2015 initiatives to increase the engagement between public sector bodies and SMEs will focus on the following sectors:
- Software and services
Enterprise Ireland supports and other supports
In addition to sourcing tender opportunities for companies, Enterprise Ireland offers a range of funding and capability-building activities that will help prepare and enhance companies’ ability to successfully bid and win public contracts. Please see links below for further details.
- Go2Tender: Managed by InterTradeIreland, this programme aims to give you the confidence, knowledge and skills to tender successfully for public sector contracts particularly on a cross-border basis. Details can be found at www.gototender.com
- Build Export Selling Capabilities: Enterprise Ireland programmes and grant supports designed to assist companies to develop their selling capabilities. Initiatives such as the Mentor Programme and Excel at Export Selling may be of interest to companies targeting the public sector. For further details see website http://www.enterprise-ireland.com/en/Export-Assistance/Building-Export/Building-Export-Selling-Capabilities-Overview.html
- Horizon 2020: Running from 2014 to 2020 with a budget of just €79 billion, Horizon 2020 is the EU’s new programme for research and innovation and is part of the drive to create new growth and jobs in Europe.Visit www.horizon2020.ie to find out how to make a proposal to Horizon 2020 and find the contact details for the European Advisors who can help you
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR): SBIR is a mechanism which enables public sector bodies to connect with innovative ideas and technology businesses to provide innovative solutions to specific Public Sector challenges and needs. Details of Ireland’s first SBIR competition can be found on www.seai.ie/SBIR
Tendering Opportunity Websites & Useful Links (Ireland)
|Etenders||The website is designed to be a central facility for all Irish public sector contracting authorities to advertise procurement opportunities and award notices.|
|Office ofGovernmentProcurement ||The Office of Government Procurement (OGP) is an office within the Department of Public Expenditure & Reform. It has been tasked with centralising public sector procurement arrangements for common goods and services|
|InterTrade Ireland||Cross border trade agency which has excellent resources and initiatives around all Island public procurement|
Tendering Opportunity Websites & Useful Links (UK & Europe)
|TenderScout||Subscription based site , enabling companies to build a pipeline of sales opportunities and to win more public sector businesses. (Accessed via Enterprise Ireland’s Market Research centre)|
|TED(TendersElectronicDaily)||TED is the online version of the 'Supplement to the Official Journal of the European Union', dedicated to European public procurement.|
|InformationonEuropeanPublicProcurement||National public procurement databases |
|eSourcingNI ||eSourcing electronic tendering site which allows supplying organisations to take part in tender opportunities led by the N.I public sector and regulated contracting authorities through which all procurement is channelled|
|CentralProcurementDirectorateNI||As the leading organisation for public procurement in Northern Ireland, the Central Procurement Directorate (CPD) reviews and develops NI procurement policy and provides the NI Public Sector with best value for money procurement services. Website also provides details of provides a range of helpful information on public procurement for current and prospective suppliers|
|UKGovernmentProcurement ||Provides an integrated commercial and procurement services for government and UK public sector including health, Local government, devolved administrations, education and not-for-profit organisations.|
|ConstructionlineUK ||Register of pre-qualified suppliers for construction contracts, used by approx 8,000 buyers from over 2,000 organisations|
|PublicContractsScotland||This portal gives free access to contract opportunities in Scotland. |
|Sell2Wales||Procurement website set up by the government that is aimed to help win contracts in public sector across Wales and for public sector buyers to advertise and manage tender opportunities|
|UNProcurementDivision||Provides effective and quality expert procurement services and business advice to UN headquarters and other UN organisations while achieving best value for money and ensuring competitiveness and transparent process in accordance with established regulation, rules and procedures.|
|WorldBankProcurement||Procurement under World Bank-financed projects results in the award of about 20-30,000 contracts with a total value of about $20 billion annually|
Click here to download the Public Procurement Profile for SMEs in PDF format.
Clients of Enterprise Ireland should contact their Development Adviser in the first instance.
You may also contact the the Enterprise Ireland Public Procurement Team:
Head of Public Procurement
Tel: + 353 (1) 727 2938
Cleantech, Energy, Water & Construction
Tel: +353 1 727 2132
Software and Services
Tel: + 353 1 727 2145
Transport, Industrial, Security and Consumer
Tel: +353 1 727 2887
Capital Investment Projects, Food & Education
Tel: + 353 1 727 2965
|Orlagh Murphy|| |